Nov 7, 2010

365 days

Lots of things have change within a year and I mean A LOT of things. Let's start with coming here to Melbourne. Just a year ago.. I'm this clueless girl who has only been to Melbourne once just to check out the Uni(s), has no family or even any relative here too. A bit confused my self why on earth did I pick design in Swinburne anyway? As well as changing my mind in the last minute about not going to Billy Blue in Sydney instead. I can still recall my friend was surprised that I was coming to Melbourne because he thought it was fix that I'm going to Sydney.

Back home, daddy used to take care everything. Trust me, everything means everything. Household, any payments, computer maintenance, piano lessons, holiday trips, he took care of it. Yes he still does it too now, but my point is I've never took care anything serious in my life before. I'm like this spoiled daughter who had everything really smooth and 'perfect'.

I don't want to go through my rough days here, blabbing how bad things did happen to me, trouble came and went, because I don't like reminiscing sad memories. All I want to say is that now.. I've changed. I think I grew up a little bit. I feel different. I act different, I talk different, I think differently compare to my self a year ago. Now I listen to Korean band, for Pete's sake. Well I don't listen to them that much, but I gave it a try. That's how much I've changed.

The people around me are fairly different within a year. I'm thankful for everyone I have right now. I feel so lucky to have met them, and became friends since then. Not that I've forgotten my high school friends, they own half of my heart just like what my best friend told me. I miss them like crazy, here. But talking about living at the moment, I do thank God I have met such good people here. It brings out that feeling, you now, pure happiness, when you can make others laugh. At you, with you, does it matter, really?

Second thing, I cook, for the love of God. I know how to make pasta, I watched Jamie's Ministry of Food Recipes podcasts, I shop for the ingredients even though yes, my cooking skill is still on a very basic stage, but I cook. For those who have known me at least since junior high school, must have known what I'm like with cooking, kitchen and friends. Yup. I was never near the kitchen. I picked out snacks and Spongebob ice creams while my little brother helped my mom picking out real ingredients during monthly grocery shopping.

October 2009 I went to Festival Indonesia at Fed Square with Unilink friends, ate the food, watched the performance, introduced to a friend who was performing then, and who is now the guitarist of 'my band', and I swear to God, it never occurred me at that time that I was going to stand at that same stage the next year, singing to 100ish people, which I did. I think I can call it my band, the 8th Avenue, performed in Festival Indonesia on 24 October 2010. That's pretty amazing for me.

Did I sound like I'm arrogantly telling you all this stuff? Well, this is me being proud and happy and amazed all at once. Forgive me for any misleading statements, but yes, I'm happy that I've changed. I'm happy that.. Melbourne has changed me. You know how people say change is never a good thing? Well in this case, it isn't. Change is good. Do change, do feel the difference, do take the risk :)

Lastly, now I have a newly respect for designers. For logo designers, poster designers, book publication people, God what a huge work they have to go through! There's so much to think and re-consider in the making of a particular art work! From now on, I will never insult any kind of design form regardless how they overall look like because I know, and I mean I know, the effort and hard work behind all that.

Smile, be happy, and enjoy life :)

Vania

No comments: